Thursday, July 2, 2009

OPEN LETTER REMEMBER THE TIMES..

Thanks for the reply, Sphere. Yeah, they are great memories. I didn't write ever, but going to school in Bayside and living in Northeastern Queens, I saw a lot of writers while I was growing up. I was too young to be a part of it. I'm 29 now, started reading graff at age 7 or 8. From about 1987 to 1994, I caught the end of the trains and the whole highway era. I saw stuff by you, Cro, Saint, Sent, Ghost, Gato, Duel, Red, Duran, K-Pro, Smog, Dera, SEOD, SO, Neo,Stane, Dead, Vor, JA, Kite, Chille, PJay, Cope, Lost, Mirage, Tretal, and some others; too many to mention.

By the time I got to to Cardozo high school in 1995 and was old enough to do it, the graff world seemed like a fucking disaster, overrun with full goons that wrote as if their arms were broken. Now, don't get me wrong; I never wrote, nor am I a graff expert or some great artist. But the crispy style that the TMR and RIS guys from Queens had was vastly different than the junk that came out of NE Queens post-highway era.

The stuff that guys like you, Mirage, Stane, Duel, Dead, and Vor put up used to make the hairs on the back of my head and neck stand up. I'd drive to the Bronx just waiting to see the blue Mirage blockbuster with the feet on the Clearview. That comeback that you and Saint did on the 'Dozo handball courts.. there was one time I was just standing there admiring it, like I was frozen.

Again, I didn't write; but you guys' stuff really meant a lot to me growing up.

Thanks for the memories.

No comments: