Tuesday, December 23, 2008

EARLY MORNING INSPIRATION

Happy Holidays to you and yours first off..
As I'm trying to wind down after a real crazy month...I've been doing some light touches on some new tracks as the 2008 catalog gets professionally mixed. The film I was involved in Jack & Jules will showcase January 23, 2009 in New York City. I will be flying back to attend the screening as well as most probably performing. We are working on that right now. If that all goes down, I will debut brand new exclusive tracks off my upcoming album never heard live before.

Tuesday AM: As I whipped thru the early morning L.A. mist in the caddy, I bypassed my usual solo catalog to listen to some alternative lyrically stimulating hip-hop. I don't have time now a days to search out and find new talent that's making the cut, so I relied on past reputation and came up with GZA's "Protools". I let the CD bang out the system, windows up, leather goose zipped, cold like a New York winter morning, until the track "Paper Plate" came on. Up to this point the tracks have been consistently solid with good beats and lyrics so ahead of it's time you usually have to listen to them twice just to catch what The Genius is saying.

Now.."Paper Plate" has a very simple basic beat, which I believe GZA purposely chose for this diss song to 50 Cent..Because there are no real distractions..your forced to listen closely the rhymes and the seasoned delivery. So many mainstream rappers with their half ass diss records have no idea as to properly orchestrate an effective diss. He dissects 50's career down to a science..breaking down song titles, career moves, and so on..one of my favorite lines went something like "That Ye-yo your slanging, the fiends have bought it, too many cuts on it, coke heads they don't snort it" Obviously a shot to Tony Yayo of G-Unit.

I'm not like most underground mc's who hail 50 and them as a reason for hip-hop's disgrace..I feel that there are other reasons for the downfall for which I won't get into right now...I think 50 and his crew has done well in doing good hip-hop with that gangsta style as well as doing commercial joints making millions of dollars. I ain't mad at that. I'm just saying..GZA really laid down the law on this track and although a couple months old..I still think deserves proper recognition. A hip-hop diss record properly done straight up and down. I tip my yankee fitted to GZA for doing shit correctly...say word.






No comments: